There has been a place of worship of sorts in Wilsford for at least 4000 years! From our recently-excavated Henge, through the period of our Saxon earthworks which lies next door to the site of our Christian Era church. St Nicholas is the parish church of Wilsford and situated towards the East end of the village. Largely an unrestored building, it dates from the 12th century although the nave and chancel are Early English, built in the 13th century. The tower was built in the fifteenth century with a quatrefoil frieze at the base, a fleur-de-lys frieze below the battlements and pierced stonework windows in the belfry.
In the 13th century Wilsford and Manningford Bohune were owned by Henry de Bohun, Earl of Hereford. He was one of 25 knights appointed to enforce the terms of Magna Carta throughout England, and was excommunicated by the Pope for carrying out these duties.
In 1227 in de Bohun's time, St Nicholas Wilsford was appropriated to St Nicholas' Hospital Salisbury and its tithes were used to fund the salary of a Warden for the Hospital. Anthony Trollope based his novel "The Warden", part of the Barchester Chronicles, on St Nicholas' Hospital. Thus our small church played its part in English history and, via its fictional incarnation, in great English literature also.
Today St Nicholas has a small, regular congregation and an active PCC who help to organise Church services and take care of its upkeep. As of 2016 the PCC are actively seeking to fundraise for major necessary repairs. Donations can be made to online to the St Nicholas fundraising effort via: www.givey.com/wilsfordwalk
Services are held approximately once a month, with the annual highlights being a Lawn Service at the end of July; Harvest Festival; and a Patronal Festival in early December.
|The Rector (The Cannings & Redhorn Team)||01380 840672|
|Team Administrator: Helen Rawling||01380 860416|
PCC meetings are held quarterly
Photo: Robin Vickers